Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feb 05, 2011 - Winterlicious at Quince

Gosh.  It took me a while to write about this one.
or, to write another blog in general. :) I should do this more often... note to self.


A little night out with my cousin.  She's the closest one to me in this city.
It was snowing that day, but we arrived a bit early.  I think we got there a little before 5.
The place was empty (well, mostly because they open at 5 for dinner, anyway) so we were lucky to get a window seat :)


That little dish of hummus was heavenly!! probably the best hummus I've ever had.  
It was nutty, garlicky, and surprisingly not sour!  I don't know about you but I don't like hummus being too sour... authenticity aside, I'd prefer this one over other ones anytime.


House cured veal carpaccio with shaved parmesan, capers, fried rosemary, lemon zest, truffle oil
This was very flavorful too.  The curing process really brought out the umami of the veal; shaved parmesan added a bit more depth to the meat when eaten together.  I didn't taste any truffle oil tho... But that's okay.  Truffle oil would have ruined the dish anyway, since it will be too overpowering.


 Beef poutine!  need I say more?  
However it was a bit lukewarm when we received it.  Flavour wise, it is almost like a beef-stew but in a much sweeter gravy.  I liked it tho :) I like everything a bit sweet!


Braised lamb shoulder - The lamb was tender, fall of the bone tender, while still being juicy.
My cousin is very picky with lamb - but she was able to finish this one :)
I'd say it was a good dish.

House made gnocchi with wine braised beef brisket - this one was a fail.
Ever since my great gnocchi experience as Trapezzi on Danforth, I have been on a little gnocchi obsession at restaurants.  But this one didn't even come close.  The gnocchi was powdery and had almost no texture.  The wine braised beef sauce was fine tho, but the flavourig was just standard.  I guess the gnocchi is really the key to make or break the dish.


The desserts :)  yea, we did take our time for our dinner!  It's already dark outside.
The rice pudding was fairly standard.  The quince jam was a little lacking in the scent of quince and the cinnamon really just over powered everything so the delicate quince jam didn't do much anyway.
But the chocolate bread pudding was delicious!
It was almost like a chocolate torte but less dense and has the bread pudding consistency (I am not sure if that makes sense?) - it has sufficient bitterness from cocoa and that is nicely balanced by the creme anglaise.
Over all, the dinner was worth the value ($25!!) and we had a great time together :)



Quince on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment