Thursday, April 28, 2011

20Feb, 2011 - Big Lou's Butcher shop

Yea!  Finally a post on Vancouver food :)
Big Lou's has been on the top of my "to-go" list ever since it appeared on urbanspoon with a high rating (and maintained it ever since)
So this time when I went back to Vancouver, I thought I had to catch any opportunity to try their subs :)
....
and- it came on a nice sunny afternoon when Jordan and I decided to go to Chinatown to grab some groceries....

...When I "accidentally" found Big Lou's ;)
When I made the suggestion, it seems that Jordan has already tried their subs and even bought meats from them! So naturally, I had to try it :)  How can I miss Vancouver's awesome culinary experiences during my short stay here?

 
It came in a little cute paper wrap, with a string.  The way they wrap your cut of steak in a butcher shop :)
Jordan went for his favorite: Roast beef
I originally wanted the Porchetta but was told that they ran out... so instead I ordered a "shooter" which is consisted of seared steak, mushroom, shallots, pickles and hot mustard.


Jordan's Roast beef and my Shooter :) - it turned out that mine was a cold sub :( disappointing!!!




When I opened the wrap, there was loads of seared steak found in between a multigrain country bread.
The hot mustard worked really, really well with the steak.
It was almost like the horse radish sauce you use for prime rib.  
It was refreshing and provided a very nice kick to the otherwise oily and bland meat.  (to be honest, the meat portion was just alright... I have definitely had better steaks at ((even)) moxies - but hey!! it's not all about the steaks!!! ((i think?)) )
I guess I was just a bit disappointed by the fact that it was cold... the bread was hard to chew... :(
but I definitely enjoyed my sub because it was one of the better subs I've had!!


Jordan's Roast beef.  
One bite off this, I didn't want to go back to mine.
The Roast beef was tender and juicy (not dry like most of the sub places serve)
and full of, FULL of flavour!!!
It was a bit of heaven with the warm bread and melting cheese and pickles....
oh gawd.
I remember telling him right there and then that I regret not ordering a roast beef!!
But he was generous enough to spare me with few more bites.  :D

Next time when I visit, I will definitely have to try their Porchetta!! 
hopefully they don't run out... I don't visit Vancouver THAT often :S *fingers crossed*

Big Lou's Butcher Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment