Saturday, June 23, 2012

Japanese snacks (Bourbon petites and more!) - from konbiniya on robson

I love Japanese snacks!
Not only that they automatically come in portion controlled sizes; the unique Asian influence on them just make them 10 x better than your usual ketchup flavoured chips!

Strawberry langue de chat - $1.49
I loved the prominent strawberry flavour and the strawberry chocolate/cream centre!  Petite sizes are also perfect for study/work time snacks and for sharing (if you want to share!)


BBQ corn - $0.99 
I got this one on sale because it was close to expiring.  I want to explain the definition of expiry date (at least in Japan) here because many people have misconceptions toward it.  In Japan, the expiry date on foods usually means "best before" - so even some foods "expire", it doesn't mean that they are not fit for consuming; it simply means that the manufacturer cannot guarantee the flavour of foods to be just as good as if consumed before the "expiry" date.


I loved the simple BBQ-ed sweet corn flavour of this chips.  In Japan, BBQ does not mean BBQ sauce flavoured; so that's great because they can provide you with the smokiness that comes naturally with BBQing foods yet you do not have to taste the horrid artificial BBQ sauce flavour. (I love barbecue sauce tho, just some chips use too much!!)
  
Brown sugar kinako (soybean powder) wafers - $1.49


Brown sugar kinako (soybean powder) wafers - $1.49


Brown sugar kinako (soybean powder) wafers - $1.49
 I know, I know... what is kinako/soybean powder and how do they put THAT into wafers??!!!  Relax :) kinako is sweetened soybean powder that is used prominently in Japanese snacks (wagashi).  They put it on mochi (sticky rice cakes), on sticky rice (ohagi), warabi-mochi (sorry I've got no translation for this one but it's a special type of mochi made of an Japanese herb extract)...etc - this is a very typical Japanese ingredient!
This one is my favourite as I am a sucker for anything traditional Japanese! (older generation taste buds :P )  It is definitely for those of you who are more adventurous as kinako is more an acquired taste.  It definitely tastes soybean and the bitterness of the brown sugar is perfect for balancing the whole thing out.  Loved it!!
rice cracker (senbei) Korean nori/seaweed flavoured - $1.49

This was my least favourite as I did not grasp the concept of Korean seaweed from this item at all.  Maybe it's just I do not understand how Japanese interpret Korean seaweed; but I found this to be on the bland side and almost tasted just like the normal ao-nori (Japanese powdered seaweed) flavoured rice cracker.  To me, it could have used more sesame oil flavour for sure.

Butter and soy sauce flavoured Curl - $1.99
Curls (yes, that's what they are called because of their curly shapes!) are one of the more traditional Japanese snacks as they have been around for more than 25 years!  The fact that they use butter with soy sauce screams traditional Japanese!  It is almost like a Japanese barbecue sauce but they also eat it with rice and they can incorporate it into pastas.  
I love Curls because they are my childhood memories!  It's amazing how inexpensive they are in Japan but how expensively they are sold here..... but yes, definitely worth a try, just for the butter-soy sauce flavourings!


Konbiniya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment