Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fat burger - big fat meal with milk shakes

I recently purchased a groupon from fat burger. Since I have never been to fat burger, I thought I should pay them a visit.

Upon entering the restaurant, it had a bit of the 60s dive feeling to the place. The menu was quite simple and by looking at the way they make their burgers, it reminded me of the hero burger from Toronto.

It didn't take us too long to decide on what we wanted - we both opted for the big fat meal which consists of a double bacon cheese burger, a refillable drink and a fries or salad.. For $9.99 before tax and tips, it is a premium price for what is considered to be a diner's burger or semi fast food.
We changed our drinks to milkshakes and changed one of our fries to onion rings. I also added mushrooms and egg to my burger. Our bill came to be $32 after tax. Now that is actually quite expensive when you think about it.

The big fat meal with double bacon burger and cheese - this one is with fried egg and sauteed mushrooms as well

Now the burger:
It's hard to tell from my photos but mine (double bacon cheese burger + sautéed mushrooms and fried egg) was huge! It was so big that I was not able to grasp everything in one bite so I had to take several smaller bites to get all the components of the burger together in one huge bite. No doubt everything tasted really fresh, I especially enjoyed the fresh crunch from the lettuce and juicy tomato slice. However, the burger patties were quite dry. When eaten together with every component in the burger, the dryness of the patties seem to be masked by the sauce and juice from the tomato slice (and for my burger, also from the sauteed mushrooms). But when there isn't enough juice, the patty is so dry that I actually had a difficult time swallowing it. I believe it is due to constant pressing of the patty during the cooking process that caused the patties to lose their moisture.

Both the fries and onion rings were quite standard. The onion rings were not too greasy (unlike many chain restaurant) and it was easy to eat. I also thought their milkshake to be quite good as it was creamy yet not too rich to make you want to vomit after such an artery clogging meal.

All in all I liked my meal here but I am not quite sure if I would visit again without another groupon deal. I do find it to be a little too expensive for a diner's meal and there are just way too many other options out there for me to come back to this establishment. (I'd probably go to red robin's instead)

Food - 2.5/5
Service - 4/5 (the girl at the cashier was really helpful; and they bring your food to the table without forcing a tip from you)
Ambiance - n/a - its a diner...





Fatburger (Burnaby) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment